Re: is SMTP a candidate for OPES ?

2004-07-06 09:30:29

The Boston ruling about email might apply to http caches
(non-transparent ones) and possibly OPES processors acting on behalf
of the recipient.  I don't think it has much to do with protocols, but
it has a lot to do with storing message copies.

The article implies that if the content is stored as a service to the
user, then it is not protected under wiretap law.  It sounds as though
the SMTP store-and-forward phase is still protected until it hits the
ISP that is acting on behalf of the recipient.  At that point any
message copies are assumed to be a storage service for the recipient.

But, I'm not a lawyer and have based my opinion entirely on the
article, and that article is written by someone who is neither a
lawyer nor an Internet expert.

Hilarie