Re: Strawman OPES Charter

2004-07-13 09:10:06

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Markus Hofmann wrote:

I would assume that the phrasing

   Define a rules language to control the selection and
   execution of OPES services.

does not preculde us from specifying a "rules languahe core" and
HTTP/SMTP specific profiles.

It does not. The problem is with the specific deliverables that seem
to mention just one language specification/document rather that a core
language plus modules approach:

    DATE Initial document on OPES rules language
    DATE Submit document on OPES rules language to
         IESG for Proposed Standard

Should we rephrase so that multiple documents are allowed?

In order to ensure that we come up with a solution that at least
supports HTTP and SMTP, let's word it as

   Define a rules language to control the selection and
   execution of HTTP/SMTP-based OPES services.

How does that sound?

Sounds like it excludes other protocols from being considered when
designing the core language. How about:

     Define a rules language to control OPES processor selection
     and execution of OPES services, including HTTP and SMTP
     adaptation services.