Re: Bounce/System Notification Address Verification

2005-06-29 22:48:07

At 08:02 -0400 on 06/29/2005, Bruce Lilly wrote about Re: Bounce/System Notification Address Verification:

On Wed June 29 2005 00:30, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

 At 13:50 +0100 on 06/28/2005, Tony Finch wrote about Re:
 Bounce/System Notification Address Verification:

 >However if the return path might have been an alias which expands to more
 >than one address, and this can reslult in legitimate bounces with more
 >than one recipient.

 No it doesn't. The original message has ONE recipient (the alias) and
 gets delivered to it. At that point the alias gets expanded and
 creates a new message which is sent to each recipient. Unless 2 or
 more recipients are hosted at some domain other than the one where
 the alias is hosted, each copy is delivered directly to their mailbox
 (as if the message had arrived with all the addresses explicitly
 listed as RCPT-TOs).

You might want to reread Tony's statement carefully.  Perhaps an
example will help: