Tony Hansen wrote:
PS. John has also made some minor ABNF tweaks in response to the IESG
comments, as well as adding an explicit acknowledgment to Jon Postel's
work. I'll post a note about these separately.
Trying to be transparent in the process here.
The following changes were made during the IESG go-around and will be
included in the version of 2821bis passed to the RFC editor. Hopefully
they're all non-controversial.
1) Added ; to last comment line for ehlo-param
2) Made consistent the names Forward-path, QcontentSMTP, address-literal
3) Restored the Standardized-tag production from 2821
Standardized-tag = Ldh-str
4) There were a couple definitions that were originally pulled in from
2822, but 2822upd does not have comparable definitions.
provided a "dcontent" definition
dcontent = %d33-90 / ; Printable US-ASCII
%d94-126 ; excl. "[", "\", "]"
renamed "text" name to be "textstring" and gave it this definition
textstring = 1*(%d09 / %d32-126) ; HT, SP, Printable US-ASCII
5) Typo: "implementating" => "implementing"
6) John added this acknowledgment paragraph:
Neither this document nor RFC 2821 would have been possible without
the many contribution and insights of the late Jon Postel. Those
contributions of course include the original specification of SMTP
in RFC 821. A considerable quantity of text from RFC 821 still
appears in this document as do several of Jon's original examples
which have been updated only as needed to reflect other changes in
7) Typo: "in in" => "in"