Re: [ietf-smtp] Request for discussion of Mandatory Secure Mail Delivery proposal (draft-wchuang-msmd)

2013-10-16 12:41:09
On 16.10.2013, at 19.30, Wei Chuang <weihaw(_at_)google(_dot_)com> wrote:

I do like the idea of using several tiers - but also wonder what the
implications will be when you demand tier 2 or higher and I can only provide
tier 1 security. Won't this just mean emails get bounced all over the
Internet?

It will mean that there will be more bounced mail.  But I would argue that
this is what the user desired as described above.

Bounces could be avoided by doing a check immediately when "send securely"
checkbox is clicked. If the destination SMTP server doesn't advertise MSMD
capability, the UI would immediately show that it's not possible to send the
mail securely.