Re: [ietf-smtp] DKIM encryption, was Request for discussion

2013-10-16 16:35:46
Sender fetches TXT _encrypt._domainkey.recipient.com.  If it
exists, it uses the p= public key to encrypt the whole
message, embeds it as a MIME application/dkim-encrypted body
in a new message to the original address, and sends it off.

Interesting idea as long as both sender and recipient trust the
delivery server.

Well, sure, but my thought here is that it gives you about 90% of what the Google proposal does for about 20% of the cost. If you don't trust the delivery server, you have to unwrap in the recipient MUA, which means per user keys, and we've reinvented PGP and S/MIME.

But _please_ don't use Postmaster.

Keep in mind that the idea here is that mail with a dkim-encrypted body is unwrapped and readdressed before delivery, so the mailbox doesn't matter much.

Having recently reviewed the list of addresses in RFC 2142, I'm leaning toward uucp@.

Regards,
John Levine, uucp(_at_)computer(_dot_)org, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY