Re: Eliminating Virus Spam

2001-01-03 14:50:03

I think it would be a mistake for the IETF to try to get into the
business of protecting mailing list subscribers from virses.  But the
list membership should be protected from anti-virus software spamming
by some combination of filters and unsubscribing those whose sites run
such unscalable software.

Donald

From:  John Border <border(_at_)hns(_dot_)com>
Date:  Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:41:05 -0500
To:  ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

   I am not that familiar with the details of how mailing list servers work.
Is it possible to configure a mailing list server (e.g.
majordomo(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?)
to do a virus scan on an incoming mail message before forwarding it to the
mailing list, bouncing the mail message back to the sender if a virus is
detected?  (Or, since From addresses might be faked, maybe just tossing it is
the right answer.)  If such a capability doesn't exist, maybe it should...

John