Re: how to take minutes

2002-07-24 05:53:41
Hi -

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:25:21 -0400
From: Scott Brim <sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: how to take minutes
Some of these meeting notes that capture (some of) the words
but miss the point of the discussion.

That last point is a useful one, but when I can't be at a meeting I
strongly prefer blow-by-blow transcripts, even babbling, over just
results.  I want Meeting Notes with enough detail that I can pick out
the motivations and other nuances.  "Minutes", for the Proceedings,
should not exclude them.

While these "blow by blow" accounts give the appearance of
great detail, I think they are seldom sufficiently accurate or
complete enough to support using them to discern "motivations
and other nuances."  YMMV.

A few years ago the minute taker for one WG session literally
tape-recorded the meeting and transcribed it verbatim.
Valiant, but I'm not sure it was actually helpful.  Even with
the transcript and having been there in person, I'm still
blissfully ignorant of the motivations behind some of the
positions taken.

I'd be happy with accurate lists of topics/issues discussed,
agreements reached among those present, and action items
assigned.  More isn't necessarily better.

 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 randy_presuhn(_at_)bmc(_dot_)com  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.