Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-11-28 23:16:52
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:45:23 PST, Einar Stefferud
<Steflist(_at_)thor(_dot_)nma(_dot_)com>  said:

ICANN stands alone in its EXCLUSIVNESS, while arguing
that there must only be one root.  All others must die!

Think .BIZ.

Now go back and *CAREFULLY* re-read RFC 2826.  Note that nowhere
does it say that ICANN has to be "the root".  What it says is "either you
have one centrally coordinated root, or you have Balkanization".

Then think .BIZ again, and ask yourself what it is you *REALLY* want.

I'm no particular fan of ICANN's actions either, but I wonder how much of
their attitude is due to a fear that they are under attack from people who
don't understand some of the fundamental issues.

Hell, if I were on the ICANN board, *I*'d not want to share control of
the root with people who don't understand the difference between "ICANN
has the root and won't let anybody else have their own" and "ICANN refuses
to share control of the root with anybody else".

Now, both of the above statements are true - one for technical reasons,
and one for political reasons.  Failing to understand which is which merely
guarantees that you won't get *either* what you say you want, or what you
probably really want...