move to second stage, Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-13 23:34:31

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
This discussion got me thinking about the need to state clearly that the
IETF's goal is not to solve the spam problem.

Inadequate design cannot be corrected?

The *possibility* of spam is due to an Internet design based on an
honor system for the end points. The model being that the connection
was less trusted than the end points. Access to the end points was
granted under an honor system and usage rules were enforceable.

Reality showed that the model was upside down for commercial operation.
The end points cannot be controlled and are in fact less trusted than
the connection. Anyone can connect to the network. There is no honor
system. Usage rules are not enforceable -- users can hide and change
their end points.

What I read above is denial that the spam problem was made possible
by a design developed under the auspices of the IETF.

This is good but can I motion that we now move to the second stage
of problem solving?

Cheers,
Ed Gerck