Re: E911 location services (CAS system too)

2004-06-12 09:26:01
%
% >     If you -really- want this
% >     to work, you need to be able to trust what the DNS gives you.
% >
% >
% > --bill
%
% If (this is a BIG if):
%
% 1) this so called CAS system were implemented
% 2) DNS chose to use the CAS system to provide DNS server digital
%    certificates
% 3) DNS servers would sign queries.  I mean server signatures as in
%    non-repudiation that the response originally came from the
%    authorized DNS server.
%
% I'm trying to say that you could trust what DNS gives you.  Of course,
% the trust is only as good as the protection of the private key and the
% technology providing PKI.  I'm relying upon the reading I have done
% that simply states that a third party verified digital signature can
% provide nonrepudiation. I think the CAS system could be used to
% reliably establish the DNS "trust anchor" because CAS becomes the
% third party verifier between a DNS resolver and a requesting computer.
%
% Sounds like this is an uphill battle.  I believe that a CAS system
% does have merit.
%
% Sal
% Salvatore Mangiapane
%

        please review the namedroppers archives, much of the
        operational DNSSEC workshop/presentation material
        <www.dnssec.net>.  Further discussion should likely
        be on the pki & dns wg lists and not on the general IETF
        list.

--bill