Re: Problem of blocking ICMP packets

2004-06-17 10:35:10
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:00:29 PDT, Sally Floyd said:

to the browser.  Presumeably if the web server wanted to use something
like QuickStart, it could have the firewall configured to allow the
IP QuickStart Option not to be blocked on the outgoing SYN packet?

Given the number of times we've had IWF reports that basically boil
down to 'ntp-[12].vt.edu is probing me from port 123", and even more
interestingly the number of times we've been asked by the remote user
why their machine is trying to contact ntp-1.vt.edu, I have to classify
the concept that "People will remember to put appropriate punchouts
in their firewall when they deploy a service" as "wishful thinking".