Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-19 04:34:44
Hi Hadmut,

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:42:23 +0200
Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de> wrote:

Hi,

at least here in Germany Internet providers tend to
do and not to do what they want.

- Some cut off their clients every 24 hours (DSL)

- Some block or slowdown particular tcp ports
  to get rid of peer-to-peer file sharing

- Some redirect the first web access to any site
  to their own to force you to read their ads

- Very few support multicast. When I asked my
  own provider, they didn't even know what this is.
  (They said 'no, because they don't support Linux'.)

- IPv6? Huh? What's that?

- At least one large provider blocks port 25 to certain IP
  addresses in order to force you to use the provider's
  mail relay and have the sender e-mail address replaced
  by the customers default address at the provider's domain.
  They say it's against spam, but I guess it's because they
  take money for opening the port and allowing to use
  SMTP and such any sender domain.

- ...

So it would be good to have some kind of
standard or definition, what exactly an
internet provider has to do and what to refrain
from.

I tend to come up with the answer to your question the following way :

(Q) What is the "Internet" ?

(A) A global network that runs the "Internet Protocols", and follows the
Internet architecture.

(Q) What is the Internet architecture ?

(A) It is described in RFC1958 - "Architectural Principles of the Internet"
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1958.html).

(Q) What does an Internet Service Provider do ?

(A) Provides access to the "Internet".

(Q) What if the "Internet Service Provider" doesn't provide access to the
Internet in a way that follows RFC1958 ?

(A) They aren't providing access to the Internet, so I think they shouldn't be
calling themselves an "Internet" service provider.

A number of things you describe, such as blocking port 25, redirecting URLs
etc. do not follow RFC1958. I don't consider those organisations to be
true ISPs, and I don't give them my "Internet" access business, as they don't
seem to be prepared to properly provide it.

Regards,
Mark.