Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-20 13:41:07
On 20-jun-04, at 19:37, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

Have you tried using a hotelroom Ethernet
port or a WiFi network recently? I can't remember the last time I was
assigned something that looked like a "real" routable IP address, but
as a consumer of paid-for Internet service (that works) is there any
reason (apart from religion) that I should care??

Well, if you don't care that a soda is $6 and local calls from your room are more expensive than international ones from your office, why start here? But it's substandard service nonetheless.

That's currently a consequence of the shortage of IP addresses.

There is no shortage of IP addresses. There are still more than a billion that have never been used.

However, there is a big policy/distribution problem, or in other words:

With IPv4 not every hotel or restaurant can have a Class-C address range.