Re: Is the IANA a function performed by ICANN ?

2004-06-25 15:55:36
At 22:39 25/06/04, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
IANA and the ccNSO/ccTLD are two different beasts.

hmmm. They seem now to be both ICANN stuff. This is the point.

ccNSO and company keep track of what NS records are authoritative for what zones.

Happily not (most of the ccTLD would not like it !!!). This is a IANA job. At least until Monday.
Then it seems it will be an ICANN job, under IANA trade name.

IANA keeps track of things like the fact that HTTP is port 80, and which DHCP options use what numbers, and the like.

We agree. And this Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is a function performed by ICANN.

Is IETF OK with that? I understood that the "functions of the IANA" were _currently_ supported under contract by ICANN. I have no position on this. I just want to understand where IANA fits in the intergovernance.

I quoted ccTLDs and RIRs because they both expressed concerns about ICANN still being around three years from now. There is the same feeling among the @large left-overs. If ICANN closed I would not cry. But if it closed the global NIC, a contingency plan would be necessary.

Other countries will certainly initiate such a plan. It is to be supposed they will mirror ICANN numbers for a while, but they may also introduce their additional ones for many reasons (testing [cf. ICP-3], national needs, etc. ). OK with me as long as they first intergovern a conflict resolution system and eventually the resulting distributed global NIC they will form.

jfc