Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-05 02:01:19

--On tirsdag, oktober 05, 2004 00:57:22 -0400 "Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> wrote:

Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>:
1. Nothing about the reorganization is going to make IETF
standards be more useful or be produced significantly more
quickly.  Hence, reorganization has nothing to do with the really
serious threats to IETF long-term survival.

Indeed it does not.  I've been lurking on this list for a couple of
months now, and I am fighting an increasing feeling that I am watching
deck chairs being rearranged on the Titanic.

In the last 60 days, the IETF has taken the worst blow to its
credibility that I have observed in the entire history of the
organization.  I refer, of course, to the Sender-ID debacle, which
exposed IETF's inability or unwillingness to defend Internet
standards against patent predation even when the existence of
prior art is readily establishable.

Eric,

the MARID WG was shut down because it was unable to reach consensus.

That is, indeed, a failure of the IETF. But not the one you argue.