Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-07 05:08:58
hmmmm.....

--On 7. oktober 2004 13:12 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com>
wrote:

As far as I can tell, those rights are only granted to the ISOC and
the IETF, not "third parties".

Solely for the purpose of using the term in RFC 3667, the IETF is defined as:

  a. "IETF":  In the context of this document, the IETF includes all
     individuals who participate in meetings, working groups, mailing
     lists, functions and other activities which are organized or
     initiated by ISOC, the IESG or the IAB under the general
     designation of the Internet Engineering Task Force or IETF, but
     solely to the extent of such participation.

So this means that Simon Josefsson is allowed to exercise the rights Scott quoted and incorporate the executable pieces into running code, but the guy on the next desk, who isn't on any IETF mailing list, is not, even though they work on the same project, for the same employer, under the same laws.
If he joins an IETF list (any IETF list), he's allowed to.

I think we made things complex for the people who implement standards.

Sigh.

                       Harald