Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-07 12:34:25
 In your previous mail you wrote:

   > If you extract, say, a C header file, or an ASN.1 schema, from an RFC
   > into an application, I believe that may be regard as a "derivative
   > work".

   see RFC 3667 Section 3.3 (a) (E)

         (E)  to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute, modify and
              incorporate into other works, for any purpose (and not
              limited to use within the IETF Standards Process) any
              executable code or code fragments that are included in any
              IETF Document (such as MIB and PIB modules), subject to the
              requirements of Section 5 (it also being understood that the
              licenses granted under this paragraph (E) shall not be deemed
              to grant any right under any patent, patent application or
              other similar intellectual property right disclosed by the
              Contributor under [IETF IPR]).

=> the issue is this right is granted to the ISOC and the IETF, not
to third parties. In fact the whole RFC 3667 is about rights granted
by authors to the ISOC and the IETF *only*...
At the limit one can say that 7.1c and 7.1e are not provided by RFC 3667!

Thanks

Francis(_dot_)Dupont(_at_)enst-bretagne(_dot_)fr