Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-10 19:59:52
"Eric" == Eric S Raymond <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:
    Eric> You've had two direct warnings about this -- the ASF and
    Eric> Debian open letters.  They interpreted IETF's passivity on
    Eric> the Sender-ID patent issue as damage and routed around it.
    Eric> If the IETF doesn't get its act together, that *will* happen
    Eric> again.  The open-source community and its allies will have
    Eric> no choice but to increasingly route around IETF, and IETF
    Eric> will become increasingly irrelevant.

I'm a bit confused here.  As I understand things, Debian and ASF
provided input to an IETF consensus call.  They asked us not to
approve a standard that depended on certain IPR.

Based on that input and other input received by the working group, the
chairs decided that they did not have consensus to advance a standard
based on this IPR.  I.E.  The IETF did exactly what Debian and ASF
asked us to do.

That seems like a reasonable outcome under our process.  It also seems
directly consistent with what Debian and ASF asked the IETF to do.

Could you help me understand your concern?

--Sam