Re: I-D ACTION:draft-lyons-proposed-changes-statement-01.txt

2004-10-21 06:28:06
Joel,

Thanks for your comments.

First, incorporation of the IETF.  While there are many reasons why
incorporation of an association is desirable, one important reason for a
technical association like IETF to incorporate is the substantial increase
in exposure to potential liabilities arising from conflicting patent claims
that has arisen over the last few years. In this context, there has been
some talk of donation recently of patents for IETF, particularly a group
of patents, for IETF purposes at little or no cost.

What happens if a group of pooled patents is donated to IETF by the very
organization that also controls funding for the IETF?  What happens if such
an organization is under no direct control by the IETF and takes steps that
embroil the IETF in patent litigation?  Where an organization has a Board
of Directors or Trustees that are drawn for the most part from a corporate
group that may have some direct interest in seeing say a patented
architecture dominate any architecture or architectural elements viewed as
competitive, and decides to use  funding as a mechanism to influence IETF
decisions, say withholding funds from the IETF that would enable the IETF
to retain a patent attorney to mount a legal challenge, how is the IETF to
continue to operate effectively in the public interest?

In posing these questions, a further suggestion comes to mind:
perhaps the proposed new IETF Foundation could also receive patent
donations. Then the IETF could independently consider, in accordance
with the IETF procedures, whether or not to accept such donations
and to establish a working group(s) to further vet them.  But this may be
a bit complicated to get into at this stage of the dialogue.  The basic
steps of filing incorporation papers -- really not expensive or time
consuming -- and encouraging the establishment of the proposed IETF
Foundation appear to be a reasonable way forward that wouldn't
require much effort.

Second, you raised a question about ISOC. While my comments didn't single
out ISOC, if ISOC is viewed as a fundraising entity or an actual source of
funds for the IETF, and is also the organization charged with hiring an
Administrative Director for the IETF and supervising his/her efforts such
as contracting with third parties for IETF support services, I would again
assert:  where are the checks and balances.  The functions of funder and/or
fundraiser should be separate from control of what consitutes a CEO for
the IETF, particularly since the current plans being discussed would appear
to relegate the IETF oversight of such functions to an intermediary group.
What I term the IETF Executive Director would be hired by the IETF
itself and remain under its direct supervision (please not:  this is a
different role from the current job description of the Executive Director
of the IETF Secretariat).

Regards,

Patrice
P.S. I've just subscribed to the IETF discussion list and, although I've
cc'd it on my reply to you, please share my comments with the list in
the event I'm not listed yet.  Thx.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com>