Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wasserman-iasa-bcp-01.txt

2004-11-01 11:19:35
I'm in general OK with this draft, but I have a few non-editorial
comments:

> 1.  Introduction
    RFC Editor and IANA.  The IASA is also responsible for the financial
    activities associated with IETF administrative support such as
    collecting IETF meeting fees, paying invoices, managing budgets and
    financial accounts, etc.

I suggest this should read "The IASA is also ultimately responsible..."
because actual collection and payments may of course be outsourced.

    The IASA is distinct from other IETF-related technical functions,
    such as the RFC Editor, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
    (IANA), and the IETF standards process itself.  The IASA has no
    influence on the technical decisions of the IETF or on the technical
    contents of IETF work.

Suggest adding:

   This in no way prevents people who form part of the IASA participating
   as individuals in IETF activities.

> 2.1  IAD Responsibilities
    Although the approval of the ISOC President/CEO or ISOC Board of
    Trustees may be required for some contracts, their review should be
    limited to protecting ISOC's liabilities and financial stability.

I think this needs to be preceded by something like:

   Formally, ISOC will be legally responsible for IASA's contracts, and will
   delegate appropriate signature rights to the IAD. Contracts and payments
   above a certain amount may require additional signatures as a matter of
   good financial practice by ISOC.

    Unless explicitly delegated with the consent of the IAOC, the IAD
    will also fill the role of the IETF Executive Director, as described
    in various IETF process BCPs.

I don't have any suggestions for change to this, but I think that
with experience it may be better to change the process BCPs.
For example, it doesn't seeem likely that the IAD will prepare the
IESG agendas; that should be part of the clerical function.

> 3.  IAOC Membership, Selection and Accountability
    [Note: There is some question about whether the IAB Chair should be a
    liaison or a full member of the IAOC.  There are multiple trade-offs
    here, and this should be discussed by the community.]

I believe this should be a voting seat, since it is stated just below
that the IAB-appointed member probably won't be a member of the IAB.

    The members of the IAOC will typically serve two year terms.  IAOC
    terms will normally end at the first IETF meeting of a year, similar
    to IAB and IESG terms.

I don't see why it's "typically". It seems to me we should stipulate two year
terms, except for the initial transitional period.

    The two NomCom selected members will be selected using the procedures
    described in RFC 3777 [RFC3777].  For the initial IAOC selection, the
    IESG will provide the list of desired qualifications for these
    positions.  In later years, this list will be provided by the IAOC.
    The IESG will serve as the confirming body for IAOC appointments.

Presumably the last sentence only applies to the NomCom-selected members?
If you mean it to apply to the IAB- and ISOC-selected members, that seems
odd, and it can't possibly apply to the IESG-selected member.

4.  IASA Funding

    The IASA is supported financially in 3 ways:

Presumably this is apart from any initial transitional arrangements.

    3.  Other ISOC support.  ISOC will deposit in the IASA account, each
        quarter, other funds that ISOC has committed to providing as part
        of the IASA budget (where the meeting revenues and specific
        donations do not cover the budget).

I would make it "at least each quarter."

Also, I would add something like:

   If ISOC directly funds any other IETF expenses, such as the IETF
   share of ISOC's liability insurance premium, this will be documented
   together with the other IASA accounts.

> 5.  IASA Budget Process
    The dates described above are subject to change, and will most likely
    be modified based on the dates of the summer and fall IETF meetings.

I think we generally say the Second and Third IETF meetings, for our colleagues
in the Southern Hemisphere.

Finally, do we need a paragraph to allow for the IETF Chair's small
discretionary budget? I don't recall that it's mentioned in draft-malamud.

   Brian