Re: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

2004-11-15 10:42:17
Hi -

From: "Fred Baker" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: "Sean Dorman" <sean_dorman(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 3:40 AM
Subject: RE: Yahoo is not using ESMTP
http://www.caida.org/dynamic/analysis/workload/sdnap/0_0_/ts_top_n_app_bytes.html)
would lead me to believe.

I just looked at the report for that interface, and have attached the GIF
of the throughput for the past hour. At that particular measurement point
during this particular hour, SMTP/ESMTP is noise.

The protocol distribution is different now, though still not showing much
SMTP compared to HTTP, etc.  It would be interesting to know what all
that "tcp-other" traffic was.  The seven-day chart shows the TCP-other
with a daily spike at midnight and a fat weekly spike on Sunday.  My guess
would be that backup traffic would account for the pattern.

Randy