Re: Why people by NATs

2004-12-01 09:48:28
On 1-dec-04, at 1:06, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

With v6 we have the ability to fix this; through some magic function, users should be able to get a PA (at a minimum) subnet behind their local router/modem/whatever and have a decent interface to configure inbound filters, similar to how they can configure evil NAT port-forwarding today.

So what's the use of a firewall when the boxes behind it get to configure it? If these boxes know what they should and shouldn't accept from the evil internet in the first place, isn't it much easier to accept/reject packets as per this knowledge?

A default filter that rejects packets for services that are generally intended for local use only would probably be good enough for a residential IPv6 router. Other services are either not enabled and/or firewalled in the host anyway, or the user actually wants them to work.

Default filters are a pain, because inevitably they end up blocking something that's useless today but a critical need tomorrow... For instance, my @#%#^& Linksys not only doesn't understand native IPv6 (hello, wake up Cisco!) but it even blocks IP-in-IP packets so I can't use an IPv6 tunnel.

Please reread. I said services that are generally intended for local use. Unknown services can't be presumed to be intended for local use and are thus not filtered by such a policy. Ideally, I wouldn't want to filter anything, but systems like Windows come with all kinds of services enabled that you really don't want to expose to the whole world, but at the same time you want (some of) these services to be available for local use.

At a minimum, vendors should document _everything_ the default filter does and allow the user to disable it if necessary.

Of course. The funny thing is that NAT can generally not be disabled by the user. :-) :-(

Note that a default stateful filter is much more harmful than filtering out some obvious stuff such as SMB as you need to make specific exceptions or use strange tricks in the application to allow incoming sessions, for ALL protocols that use those.