RE: The gaps that NAT is filling

2004-12-02 19:38:01
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Clearly, if IPv6 PI space spirals out of control like many
operators think will happen, we need to find a way to make
BGP (and possibly forwarding) performance not dependent on
the number of prefixes in the table.

I agree 100%, but this is easier said than done: if we had a silver
bullet it would have shown up already; the main issue with the routing
table appears to be stability (not memory) to me. If vendors had found
the magic potion to handle million prefixes it would be a heck of a good
sales pitch in order to get us to buy one more time brand stinking new
gear.

and maybe it's time we start looking at that in parallel
to the work on multi6 and HIP.

Realistically it would take more than 10 years to get anything done in
this domain. Replacing BGP might not be as hard as replacing IP, but it
is a formidable task nevertheless.

Michel.