Re: Adminrest: created IPR

2004-12-03 12:53:47
 "Harald" == Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> writes:
    Harald> this works for me (my only problem is stylistic - it's
    Harald> somewhat long for a principle, so may fit better in the
    Harald> "details" sections, if a place can be found for it).
I like the spirit of this as well.  I think it would be nice for the
software developed with IETF money to be open source especially in
situations where there is not a compelling reason to do otherwise.  I
think that data should generally be openly available, with exceptions
for things like mailing list subscriptions, archives of private
mailing lists, etc.

I generally agree with these things, too. However, I think that trade-offs/decisions regarding the IP rights associated with IT tools are decisions that the IAOC & IAD should be entrusted to make.

I also think that the IAOC should structure our contracts so that the IASA function has access to all of the data associated with our operations (documents, tracker state, e-mail archives, etc.). I don't necessarily think that the IETF (the open community of Internet folks) should have unrestricted access to all that data, though.

In short, I don't think that we should be trying to specify secretariat contract terms in this BCP. We can argue about those terms when the IASA TT and/or the IAOC puts out a draft RFP for review.

Margaret