Re: Consensus? Separate bank account

2004-12-09 00:03:16

--On onsdag, desember 08, 2004 18:35:20 -0800 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

As near as I can tell, there is no argument that IETF money or assets
should be kept for use by/on behalf of the IETF - should not be spent on
other things, and should be accounted for appropriately. The language you
reference seems to deal with various ways to phrase that. However it is
phrased, I suspect we all agree on that.

What I understood the question to be was whether one would use generally
agreed accounting principles in doing so - for example, not mingling
designated funds with general funds in a common checkbook, and whether
the words "account" or "accounts" mean "separate bank account" or "set of
ledger accounts among the chart of accounts in accordance with normal
accounting practice".

This shows up in section 3.1, where the IAD maintains "an account", and
in section 5, which at times uses "accounts", in the plural and
indicating a normal corporate set of ledger accounts, and at other times
uses "account", in the singular, apparently conceptualizing a personal
checkbook. I would like to read both of these as specifying that there
will be an appropriate set of ledger accounts (plural, in the sense that
a General Ledger program uses the term) as described in section 5.1, and
not detailing whether the storage vehicle is a single checkbook, a
checkbook and a savings account, or some other combination of bank
vehicles.

I think you want to leave the details of the bank accounts to the
financial folks discretion, as the right approach may change from time to
time. You just want to be very clear on what is the IETF's and what
isn't, and be able to review/report the ledger accounts when you need to.

Agreed - I thought this was already OK with the addition of section 5.1 on "Divisional accounting", so I did not suggest a change for it. Do we need to make a global pass of s/account/accounts/?

                            Harald