Re: Copying conditions

2004-12-13 18:30:47
In general, I support your goal of permitting free software to fully
use IETF standards.  A few specific comments below, which should be
taken as encouragement to continue and refine the terms, not criticism
against the whole approach.

"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com> writes:

   1. Everyone is free to copy and distribute the official specification
      for an open standard under an open source license.

I would include "modify" in this clause, or clarify exactly which
license you are talking about (e.g., GNU Free Documentation License).

If I want to include portions of an RFC in my software manual (e.g., a
terminology section), I want my users to have the right to modify that
portion of the manual and re-distribute the derived work.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the remaining patent related
points.

If you think it would be useful to submit these five Open Standards
Principles as an informational RFC, certainly I can do that. But perhaps
they can be discussed here first in their current form without that
formality. I welcome comments and suggestions.

If there is no broad discussion of these issues, perhaps publishing a
discussion of them as an informational RFC is the right thing.

I think the first goal here should be to make sure the IETF is aware
of the problem wrt free software.  Given the earlier discussion in
this thread, some IPR WG participants appeared to not even be aware
that there is a problem, which I found surprising if not disturbing.

Thanks,
Simon