Re: RFC1269 -

2004-12-16 15:36:33
Eliot Lear writes:
I'll remove it from the list with the expectation that the new MIB
will obsolete the old one.  However, I note that is currently not
stated in the header of the draft.

I think RFC1269 (BGP-3 MIB) can safely be dropped even today, because
nobody is using BGP-3 anymore, and as Bert pointed out, we already
have RFC1657 (BGP-4 MIB).  RFC1657 is what people use today.

By the way, draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-15.txt is a relatively minor
update to RFC 1657, and misses many "recent" additions to BGP-4 that
are widely used, such as support for multiple address families etc.

There was an attempt at writing a modernized BGP-4 MIB, but that seems
to have stalled (draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-05.txt is a tombstone).
Did I mention that writing MIBs is harder than it should be?
--
Simon.