Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-18 11:49:14
 Date: 2004-12-14 16:01
 From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell(_at_)adelphia(_dot_)net>
 To: ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no

The "grandfathered" production in the RFC 3066bis ABNF is intended only
for the 24 entries (not 46, as I wrote earlier) that are carried over
from the RFC 3066 registry and that don't otherwise conform to the RFC
3066bis syntax.  Take a look at the items marked "grandfathered" in the
proposed registry:

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/lstreg.html

If you can write a reasonable "grandfathered" production in ABNF that
will allow this set of tags and no others, such that the ABNF can be
used without also referring to the prose, then I salute you.

If there really are only 24 items of less than 11 octets each,
a trivial solution is to simply list them (with the usual ABNF
syntax) as literal strings.  That should take no more than a
half-dozen lines.