The End-to-end Argument

2005-07-20 14:21:48
Tom Petch wrote:
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>:

In other words: if the endpoints in the communication already do
something, duplicating that same function in the middle as well is
superfluous and usually harmful.

Mmmm so if I am doing error correction in the end hosts, and somewhere along the
way is a highly error prone satellite lnk, then I should let the hosts correct
all the satellite-created errors?  I don't think that that is the way it is
done.

Likewise, if my sensitive data mostly traverses hard to penetrate links (fibre)
but just somewhere uses a vulnerable one (wireless), then I just use application
level encryption, as opposed to adding link encryption over the wireless link in
addition?  Again, I think not.

End-to-end is not always best but I am not sure which law of network engineering
points out the exceptions.

Saltzer, Reed and Clark's paper "End-to-end Arguments in System Design" points
out the exceptions:
<http://mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf>
(starting at the heading "Performance aspects").

--
David Hopwood
<david(_dot_)nospam(_dot_)hopwood(_at_)blueyonder(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>