Re: Zero Configuration Printers in Terminal Room

2005-08-01 12:14:53
    While Stewart is absolutely 100% correct from a technical
standpoint, we'd really appreciate it if you didn't do that. We very
specifically didn't advertise the addresses of the printers directly,
but rather pointed everyone at a print spooler. This is for several
reasons. First, this gives the terminal room staff more of an ability
to clear out large or broken jobs if something goes awry. Secondly,
it allows for a much deeper queue, should a big job or two come in at
a peek printing time. Finally, the Terminal_Room_Printers queue
distributes jobs across both printers.

    So, if making those few extra clicks don't overtax people too
much, we'd greatly appreciate following the instructions as distributed.

    Thanks!

You can easily advertise your print spooler, if you want, so that it
shows up as an available print service in the "Printer" menu's Bonjour
list, just like the printers themselves do. All you have to do is add a
few lines to the DNS zone file for ietf.org:

; Enable drowsing for this domain
b._dns-sd._udp                     PTR @
db._dns-sd._udp                    PTR @
lb._dns-sd._udp                    PTR @

; Advertise Print Service
$INCLUDE ietf63printers _printer._tcp

The text of the "ietf63printers" file goes something like this (except
you'd replace the information below with the information pertaining to
the print spooler you want to advertise):

@                               IN PTR IETF\ 63\ Printer\ A\ \(Term-01\)
                                  PTR IETF\ 63\ Printer\ B\ \(Term-02\)

IETF\ 63\ Printer\ A\ \(Term-01\)  SRV 0 0 515 wired-4-10
                                  TXT pdl=application/postscript
wired-4-10                         A   86.255.4.10

IETF\ 63\ Printer\ B\ \(Term-02\)  SRV 0 0 515 wired-4-11
                                  TXT pdl=application/postscript
wired-4-11                         A   86.255.4.11

Any client machine with "ietf.org" as a search domain (e.g. learned via
DHCP) will then automatically discover these advertised print services.

To demonstrate the example, I've set up "ietfprinters.org" as illustrated
above. Mac OS X 10.4 users can see for themselves how it works by
manually entering "ietfprinters.org" into their list of search domains,
and the advertised print services will magically appear in the print
dialog.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org