Re: Internet Draft Process Procedure

2005-08-02 14:43:45
They are posted if they follow the guidelines, in particular
the mandatory text about intellectual property etc.

See http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html

Posting an I-D implies nothing about its status.
It simply means it is on line for 6 months.

A working group may decide to adopt a draft as a WG draft,
and I suppose that could be called "acceptance" but it does
not imply approval.

Only a draft that has followed the full process (RFC 2026)
can be approved by the IESG.

I suggest reading the Tao at http://www.ietf.org/tao.html

Brian E Carpenter
IETF Chair
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

zhen(_at_)cs(_dot_)dal(_dot_)ca wrote:
Hello folks,

Just a quick question about the "acceptance" of Internet-Drafts. Is there
such a term called "acceptance" about Internet-drafts or they will be
anounced anyway as long as being proposed? As I figured that it's  like
everyone talks about his/her opinions freely in the form of I-D. An I-D is
certainly not equal to "a journal paper".

Looking forward to being clarified.

Zhen