Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-07 06:02:31
Melinda Shore wrote:

        [..]
On the question of running code, I agree with you in
theory but we do have a problem with the timeliness of our
documents and I'm not sure that we want to make the process
even slower unless we're certain that there's a real
problem here that needs to be solved.

I wonder if absence of running code, and the apparently weakened
impact of running code on WG debate when there is some, is contributing
to drawn-out document development? Groups who do, or prefer, white-board
design will tend to spend more time tinkering with, or arguing over,
the theory of a design. Ironically, we might well speed things up
if design debates could, again, be swung by people who've actually got
implementation experiences to share.

cheers,
gja