Re: what is a threat analysis?

2.1. Criteria for formation

   When determining whether it is appropriate to create a working group,
   the Area Director(s) and the IESG will consider several issues:

    - Are the issues that the working group plans to address clear...

    - Are the goals specific...

If you cannot tell us what the threat is that you are trying to address, and in particular if you cannot answer Russ's three questions, then the answer to these criteria is "no".

Anti-spam and related efforts in the IETF have a history of the answer to this question being "no". That is a big part of why MARID concluded without reaching consensus -- the participants had never really agreed on what the problem was. That same problem was evident in the first MASS BOF.

Due to this history, it is entirely reasonable for Russ to insist on making sure the answer is "yes" before chartering the work, since otherwise it's likely to be a huge waste of everyone's time. He is free to do this in any way he chooses. The approach he's chosen is pretty straightforward - he asked you to define the problem you are trying to solve.

Frankly, it amazes me that so many people start to do significant work coming up with proposals in this area without bothering to first figure out what they are trying to accomplish. That's bad management practice _and_ bad engineering.

I would suggest that if you really want this work to go forward in the IETF, you should quit arguing about whether some glossary defines the term "threat analysis" well enough, and get on with the business of answering the specific questions Russ actually asked. I expect that having coherent, meaningful answers to those questions will go a long way toward actually getting a working group chartered, and will also make the group considerably more effective once it is chartered.

-- Jeff