Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-25 03:45:05
Stuart Cheshire wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the DNS Extensions WG to consider the following document:

- 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR) '
 <draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-42.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by
2005-08-24.

I really would appreciate do think IESG should postpone or reject.

This protocoll is untested!

Its implementation could result in a loss of lives!

There is no reference implementation.

Apple's mDNS protocol differs from LLMNR (and DNS) in more than
half a dozen ways.

1. It is emplemented.

2. Mostly everybody does use it.

3. mDNS did not result in the loss of lives.

Apple mDNS and LLMNR use different ports, as well as different
multicast addresses, and because of the many protocol
differences, do not interoperate.

Consider:

RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers

Everybody thinks of implementing RFC 1149 on birds only or at least on
living beeings with feathers.

How about insects? How about bats?

Here in Germany we have accidently closed the entrance to a tunnel used by
bats. To save their lives we opened a new entrance into that tunnel.

The bats did not know. Millions lost their lives crashing into the debries
from the old entrance.

Moving wellknown ports and addresses is like randomly opening and closing
tunnel.

In my honest oppinion this draft does violate RFC 1149 and it knowingly
riscs the loss of lives ...

Forget about bats and bees now. Think of existing programmes and appliances.
Do you want to kill them?

Kind regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--