Re: IESG powers - was: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

2005-08-26 06:04:49
At 13:08 26/08/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
just a remark here. In the RFC 3066bis Last Call case the IETF has the capacity not only to "police" but to "impose" and "force". This is the case when a memo documents a IANA registry. In the case of a standard track memo, there can be an appeal before it is imposed. It seems not in the case of a BCP.

Wrong. IESG approvals of a standards track draft or of a BCP are equally
subject to appeal within two months.

Dear Brian,
I do not say that BCP are not subject to appeal, but that in the case of a standard track an appeal delays the enforcement and that in the case of BCP it does not. My sources are quoted below.

Entries have been made _months_ago_ on East Asian languages in the _current_ registry in using the Draft registry format, however initially opposed by the reviewer. Should the Draft be accepted, the registry update will be requested immediately and products will ship on the faith of the accepted drafts. This will impose the Draft through usage, rising objections to a "change" resulting from an appeal.

If you warranty that this is not the case and that this Draft can only be result in a reload of the IANA registry after the appeals (IESG and possibly IAB) are exhausted, this will help everyone getting more serene as the complexity of the issue calls for. This will permit more Members of the IETF community to become familiar with the architectural aspects at stake, and to people from the cultural world and from more languages to assess the involved issues.

My "Draft as a default, not as an exclusive" proposition gives that time, but over the years to come and without delaying the deployment. Should it be refused, appeals would block the implementation for a few months. This would be the only delay left to avoid balkanisation and an e-cultural world war. Experience from French/European cultural exception policy, European response to Google scannerisation project, Chinese Names, UNESCO positions and funding for a multilingual Cyberspace, NICSO equal linguistic opportunity declaration, MINC positions, Eurolinc's Louis Pouzin WSIS contributions, WGIG multilingual priorities, etc. show that - even if most of the IETF Members are unaware - this technical, political and societal issue, is not only commercial.
jfc