Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-26 08:11:36
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 06:54:57 -0700
 Bill Manning <bmanning(_at_)karoshi(_dot_)com> wrote:
there is a fairly extensive history of multicast DNS...
in 1998/1999, along w/ this draft:

<snip>
... so multicast DNS has been around, with various implementations over
the years.
the Apple mDNS spec is not an IETF work product, in part because the
IETF rejected
it.  Same w/ the DARPA mDNS work I did six years ago.  I believe that
Bernard and
his team are where they are because they had the patience and money to
wait out a
multi year IETF standardization effort.   I ran out of money, Apple
wanted to ship solutions.
(i think)...   the Apple specs are available as are the mDNS specs.
neither is proprietary.

that said, i think it is reasonable for the IETF to provide its
imprinture on LLMNR as an IETF
standards track activitiy for naming on a link-local environment.  The
work has not violated the
processes, has met all the IETF criteria and should proceed. Pretty
much a clear case of a protocol
designed by committee.  And its not like anyone will use it of course.
Even Microsoft appears to have abandon it.

--bill

I am perhaps just being slow and dim-witted after minor surgery, but why
should a protocol that no-one will use be standards track ?

This discussion is beginning to remind me of the scientific standards processes
involving the Soviet
bloc that I was involved with during the Cold War. That is not a good sign...

Regards
Marshall Eubanks