Re: Enough is enough: Intent to file an RFC 3683 against Jefsey Morfin

2005-08-29 23:31:37
Just a few brief comments....

--On 29. august 2005 14:37 -0400 John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net> wrote:

  Unfortunately, the criteria for a PR action are a bit vague:
]
] Notably, in a small number of cases, a participant has engaged in
] what amounts to a "denial-of-service" attack to disrupt the
] consensus-driven process.  Typically, these attacks are made by
] repeatedly posting messages that are off-topic, inflammatory, or
] otherwise counter-productive.  In contrast, good faith disagreement
] is a healthy part of the consensus-driven process.

   To me, for example, 10,000 breakin attempts per day is merely a
minor nuisance, not beginning to approach "denial of service". To some
of my customers, one pornographic spam per month is enough to deny
them the enjoyment of email.

In the US legal system, I think they have the concept of "case law"; one passes laws that require judgment to be applied by judges, and then the practice of that law becomes part of the case history. Never using a rule is a kind of "case law" too - it's a statement that can be read as "none of the infractions we have seen so far warrant actually using the rule, so nobody who isn't behaving worse than any current offender need fear it".

(I think Napoleonic-code countries are different; in those countries, the judge is supposed to give a correct interpretation of the intent of the lawgiver, no matter what other judges have thought at other times. In practice, I suspect the difference is not that great.....)

   Jefsey (last I checked) is frequently off-topic, occasionally
inflammatory, and usually counter-productive. Does this "amount to a
denial-of-service attack"?

At the moment, learning that Jefsey's opinions can be ignored is a part of the initiation process for new IETF participants in the fora he frequents. I think that's a steep learning curve.

   I could never feel comfortable calling it one. I'm sure there are
folks that consider my posts "frequently off-topic, occasionallly
inflammatory, and usually counter-productive".

   How many of us are confident that nobody ever perceives these faults
in us?

Very few of us should be.

And Jefsey is not the worst such participant the IETF has ever endured.
He just happens to be (IMHO) the CURRENTLY worst participant in that regard.

Anyway, I have a few people who are willing to help me come up with a reasonable text for the petition. I guess that the result will pop up on this list some time after the Last Call for the LTRU documents is over.

Until then.....

                      Harald