Re: I-D ACTION:draft-sanz-rfc1032-historic-00.txt

2005-08-31 02:51:19
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

But the really dubious part from my POV was the intent to
get rid of the critical X in "954 - X = 3912".  Some users
want this X,

Every TLD has its own X.

Not limited to TLDs, IIRC 1591 proposes to apply X recursively.
So when I type 'rxwhois fr' I get the lines (truncated):

whois -h whois.iana.org fr

IANA Whois Service
Domain: fr
ID: fr
[...]
URL for registration services: http://www.nic.fr/
Whois Server (port 43): whois.nic.fr
[...]

Tons of other useful info snipped:  There are mail addresses
if something doesn't work, even phone numbers, the names and
IPs of the nameservers, the age of the TLD, and the last
update.  Depending on what you want all important, it's THE
source to manage hard cases of net abuse.

With 'rxwhois nic.fr' I'd get a similar output:

whois -h WHOIS.NIC.FR nic.fr
%%
%% This is the AFNIC Whois server.
[...]

X should not be provided by the IETF.

Sure, I asked whois.iana.org / whois.nic.fr, not whois.ietf.org
- there's no whois.ietf.org (that could answer questions like
'whois -h whois.ietf.org 1046-ticket' ;-)

But apparently IANA, NIC.FR, and I have similar ideas what "X"
should be for domains.  That has to be documented somewhere,
and what you get is defined (several RfCs, 1032, 1591, 2901).

Which part of it you publish, and how you do this, is a second
question, the usual "your server, your rules" (or in that case
"your domains, your rules").  The traditional way is a whois
server - and that has also to be documented.  It is wrong to
obsolete these RfCs without proper replacement.  They are used.

It is completely outside of its technical standards-setting
mission.

With that idea you could also claim that RfCs should not talk
about postmaster@ or abuse(_at_)(_dot_)  This cannot work.  I don't care
who publishs / maintains these RfCs, maybe ICANN should do it.

Or each TLD publishs its own rules as RfC - but OTOH that would
be stupid if they are all essentially identical except from the
details reported by 'whois -h whois.iana.org <tld>'.

                              Bye, Frank