RE: EARLY submission deadline - Fact or Fiction?

2005-11-29 12:48:50
Dave,

        The WGs really can't determine what the reading time
is unless we assume that over-riding the submission deadline
is a given in many/most cases.

        In order to satisfy the processing requirements, an ID
must be submitted weeks in advance of the meeting.  An ID that
is submitted weeks in advance is early enough for people to
have a chance to read it.

        It would certainly be aberrant if a WG decided on an
earlier submission date, though I personally would not mind -
as long as there is advance notification to potential ID
submitters allowing them to plan their work accordingly.

        However, for a WG to decide that a later submission date
applies to them is essentially the same as deciding that they
will always make exceptions to the submission deadline.

        This sort of policy would certainly impose strange sorts
of hardships on draft submission, draft processing, and - most
probably - the WG.  As result, I can't imagine a WG establishing
such a policy - at least not as a result of a formal consensus.
And informally established policies on a per-WG basis is the
stuff of which nightmares are made...

--
Eric