RE: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-07 13:23:50
So, the problem you are citing is the issue that you want to harvest data
out of the ID or RFC.  That's common now, and getting more common.  You then
immediately move to say ASCII is the right output format because it makes
harvesting the data you want easy.

Well, probably not as easy as publishing the ID/RFC in some way that is
designed to make harvesting of the data within it easy.  Say, xml (2629 and
follow ons).

I believe this issue has been raised before, but we have three uses for the
ID and RFC files: we read them, we harvest data from them and we archive
them (RFCs anyway) for later use.

Any format can be used for any purpose, but it might be time to fully stand
up to requirements to harvest data, and to recognize (as I did on another
side thread), that reading is getting harder and harder for ASCII.  It may
be a decent archive format still, but I'm not sure it's going to stay that
way.

Of course, if you have three different uses, and you end up with more than
one format to satisfy all of your requirements, then you have the
"normative" problem.  I really think some of you wave that particular flag a
bit too strongly, but I think that most of us would be okay with publishing
in multiple formats, including ASCII (for now), and even with saying that
the ASCII text is the normative one, if and when there is any difference
that matters between the formats.

I think publishing the xml for harvesting really is the best thing we can
do.  If we do, we may want some more work done to make more harvesting
possible.  The schema now is really organized around readability.  This
probably has less to do with defining new tags than in using some metadata
to mark things like ABNF, code, MIBs and the like.

I am a proponent of PDF output format; I find it very useful for reading.  I
have had very few problems with PDF, fewer than with ASCII these days.  I am
also pretty pleased with HTML as the current tool (xml2rfc) creates.

That would mean the the I-D editor and the RFC editor uses xml2rfc, we
publish the xml, the ASCII and possibly PDF and/or html from the xml.  If
you want, the ASCII can be normative.  That also implies the desired input
format is xml.  We can discuss if we want the RFC editor to accept something
else and bear the burden of converting to xml.

I've heard the RFC editor has tried using xml and xml2rfc and is not
satisfied with the results as far as creating ASCII versions of RFC text.
It would be interesting to hear what problems they have seen.

Brian