RE: Weekly posting summary for ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

2006-02-24 13:25:38
Marshall,

        Actually - assuming it has any effect at all - it would
be worse than that.

        Not only will "value adding posters" be discouraged, but
they will most likely handle the input process using another
means (hallway conversations, off-line exchanges, etc.).  This
has the effect of diminishing the extent to which a few people
are willing to involve others in the "real" processes of the
IETF.

        However, I doupt very much that is the intent of giving
this information out.  It is useful - in general - to know who
is talking a lot.  It is then up to us to each decide on our
own who is contributing and who is just making noise.

        I believe (or at least sincerely hope) that people adding
value to a discussion will not decide that they themselves are
"just making noise."

        On the positive side, seeing yourself listed toward the
top can make you think about the value of letting other people
have a chance to say something.  Especially if you're - like -
third from the top...  :-)

--
Eric