Re: Copyright status of early RFCs

2006-04-07 04:56:46
 not being the RFC editor, the IAB (or member thereof), or even the
 (as yet undefinable) IETF, I am not sure I am qualified to render
 a value judgement here.  That said, I am in posession of two bound
 volumes of the collected RFC series as of the date of publication of
 said volumes (modulo delays from the time the collection(s) were assembled
 and the time they were published).  One is circa 1995 and the other is
 circa 1997  ...  and I know of at least one CD containing the RFC archives
 that has been sold.
 The rules by which the IAB/IESG manage the IETF process have changed
 dramatically in the past four years... so what was once possible/encouraged
 seems now to be treated as suspect or illegal beahviour.  Who knows
 if the ISOC/IAB/IESG folks are attempting to claim copywrite on old RFCs (which
 used to claim "Distribution Unlimited")...

--bill