Re: Copyright status of early RFCs

2006-04-10 08:01:13
However, it seems that rather than having each individual chase after authors, at least one of whom is unfortunately no longer with us, wouldn't it make sense to have the Trust sent a release form to the authors so that they can grant retroactive permission equivalent to the "modern" RFCs?

This would put action behind the desire.

I think it's much more a question of "we won't pay your lawyer's bills if someone sues you over this" than a desire to exert any form of control.

I think all the IAB, IESG, IETF trust etcetera WISH for all RFCs to be freely copyable in their entirety.

Unfortunately, wishes don't make it so.

                                 harald