Re: Last call comments about draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07

2007-03-02 16:06:44

Russ Housley wrote:
Pasi:

2) If this was published in a more academic environment, it would be
proper (and required) to cite related work, tracing the source of
ideas that were not entirely new. We don't usually have extensive
citations in RFCs, but in this context, perhaps it would be
appropriate to mention the previous proposal for sending ACs in TLS
(draft-ietf-tls-attr-cert from 1998) in the Acknowledgements section.

This takes a very different approach. Stephen and I co-authored RFC 3281, which is referenced. I do not think that Stephen's ideas about integrating Attribute Certificates into TLS had any impact on the design in the current document.

There are of course similarities that might or might not be important
when considering prior art, basically the date is what you'd care
about really then anyway.

FWIW, I don't think we want to start bouncing specs because they
don't pay homage - in this case all the similarities are probably
the only obvious ways to add authorization tokens to a TLS
handshake. Such downrefs to dead documents would anyway add yet
more cruft to the RFC process, so let's not.

S.