Re: IETF 70 and 73 Venue Announcement

2007-03-07 10:55:25

I have some basic observations:

- for non North-American, that's too many IETF meetings in North
America. The IETF should have a fallback in other places than North
American

- for non North-Americans, there are different criterias for defining
what normality is (I ACK Dave on the other thread for observing this),
and the ability the attend a conference and sleep in a different hotel
- possibly in tens different hotels for all the attendees - is also
something some of us would consider normal. So, it the IETF is unable
to secure a location that corresponds to its criterias, I would think
that the problem is more lying in the selection criterias established
by the IETF rather than the inability for prospective locations to meet
these criterias.

- if the less dangerous cities where to be chosen, I wonder what is
meant by dangerous. Is a city like Paris where you get your wallet
stollen more dangerous than a city like Washington or Los Angeles when
you might have your ... lafe stollen ?

- if the less dangerous city would have to be chosen based on any
available metric (life threat or theft threat, or whatever), probably
we should consider having meeting in Japan permanently.

- when are we going to Dubai ? They have great conference centers, and
it's pretty as much accessible from everywhere in the world about
a roughly well-balanced average traveling time for everyone including
Australia (well, kind of ;-)

- it would be nice to know why the prospective locations out of
North-America could not be selected. Just informing the IETF community
of a non-selection is not sufficient.

- I've heard here and there a lot of critics about the American-centric
IETF organization. Though I do not subscribe at all to these critics, I
do have to recognize that the selection of meeting venues doesn't help
to defend our community against such critics.

- Budget wise, a trip to North-America costs me significantly more than
a trip in Europe (not speaking about the flight cost). And travel wise,
I consider the time spent in airplace as a loss of time (OK, I can read
drafts, but after a couple of hours packed in economy class, I don't
consider this benefical and there is the resulting jet lag). So, we
should definitely share the load of the IETF meeting locations.

In order to protest, I'm considering not attending one of the
forthcoming 3 IETF meetings to be held in North America.

Regards,
Thierry