RE: Fwd: Pingsta Invitation

2007-03-26 14:37:20
On Mon Mar 26 20:15:02 2007, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I don't quite see I18N issues the same way. I think that we can have muiltiple addresses.

I think that's reasonable, too. Aside from anything else, for many people, their email address is distinct from their JID in XMPP, and/or SIP address, etc. So such a system would need to specify full IRIs, or full URIs, as well as a short description of purpose (typically "Home", "Work", etc). That probably extends across other, non-contact, {I|U}RIs, too, like homepages, so you'd end up with something like my signature.

[I admit that relatively few people are likely to have an ACAP URI available, of course...]

For practical purposes we accept a restriction in the telephone world to the numbers 0-9 with a couple of control characters (+, *, #). I suspect we end up with a practical requirement for a LATIN-1 plus alphanum address as a commonly supported minimum standard indefinitely.
Not really needed. We can just list multiple addresses, some of which in the short term will be legacy addresses. EAI should hopefully result in us having reasonable unicode email addresses.

If I can also be reached via a UNICODE address so much the better.

You can; the gmail address you quoted is, for the purposes of XMPP, unicode. For the purposes of email, however, it's ASCII.

In XMPP terms, what we're saying is that I might be able to obtain limited access to my contacts' rosters, and obtain from my contacts, or rather their servers, the ability to further peek into my contacts' contacts.

An obvious option here is that my client sends a stanza to my contacts, looking for a "Phillip Hallam-Baker", and my contacts forward this, with some form of signature, onto their contacts, and so on, until a policy on the number of hops (signatures) is exceeded.

I'm personally curious to follow this on further - I'm guessing that both the XMPP and SIP communities might be interested, but given a generalized structure, one might consider other channels of communication.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org