IETF LC comments on draft-williams-on-channel-binding-01.txt

2007-03-27 08:59:29
Alexey Melnikov made some comments in private.  They should probably go
to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.  Their gist: there should be an IANA
registry
of channels with channel bindings, their specifications, and a
well-known string to be prefixed to said channels' channel bindings
octet strings.

Alexey has agreed to propose text and I've agreed to consider it (though
I believe such a registry to not be necessary, I also believe it not
harmful, and if Alexey finds it useful then I don't object to that
addition).

Also, Sam Hartman wants the Introduction to be clearer on this: that
though this is derived from the GSS-API notion of channel binding it is
not just a GSS thing.

With respect to Sam's comment I propose the following addition:

    The term "channel binding" as used in this document derives from the
    GSS-API [RFC2743], which has a channel binding facility that was
    intended for binding GSS-API authentication to secure channels at
    lower network layers.  The purpose and benefits of the GSS-API
    channel binding facility were not discussed at length, and some
    details were left unspecified.  Now we find that this concept can be
    very useful, therefore we begin with a generalization and
-   formalization of "channel binding."
+   formalization of "channel binding" independent of the GSS-API.
+
+   Although inspired by and derived from the GSS-API, the notion of
+   channel binding described herein is not at all limited to use by
+   GSS-API applications.  We envision use of channel binding by
+   applications that utilize other security frameworks, such as SASL
+   [RFC4422] and even protocols that provide their own authentication
+   mechanisms (e.g., the KDC exchanges of Kerberos V [RFC4120]).  We
+   also envision use of the notion of channel binding in the analysis of
+   security protocols.

Nico