On the IETF Consensus process

2007-05-22 14:22:15
I am beginning to wonder about the IETF consensus processes and so figured I will ask for advice on this list. First, a summary of some of my observations over the past few months (I have real examples of these, but we don't quite need to get into those):

1. Some people (WG chairs) seem to (want to) ask for consensus on everything and that too many times: 1a. Ask for consensus on whether to adopt a document as a WG item, whether something is/should be in the charter
                                            who should be an editor
                                            should the WG meet
         1c. Ask again and again

2. Some people do it in multiple settings and in many different combinations
        2a. Ask on the mailing list
2b. Ask at a f2f meeting (sometimes, after having asked a question on the mailing list) 2c. And sometimes ask again on the mailing list (sometimes, after 2a even)

3. Some people ask questions at a face to face meeting and declare consensus one way or another

From 2418 and 4677, my understanding has been that

i) there are certain things such as appointing editors which are up to the chairs' discretion and appointing chairs which is up to the ADs' discretion (they may seek open or selective input, but are not necessarily required to do so). ii) asking for consensus once is sufficient and the process may be repeated only if things were unclear. iii) asking a question on the mailing list is sufficient to declare consensus; if opinions were sought at a face to face meeting, the chair/AD must ask on the mailing list before declaring consensus.

Yet I see ADs declaring consensus after getting the sense of the room at a face to face meeting and so I am curious whether our process documents are out of date or whether I am reading them out of context.

Thoughts?

regards,
Lakshminath