Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

2007-09-04 19:08:13
Hi -

From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell(_at_)roadrunner(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>; "Ben Finney"
<ben+ietf(_at_)benfinney(_dot_)id(_dot_)au>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0
None of those provides a list of short mnemonic strings for Unicode
characters, such as a' for "a with acute" and o/ for "o with stroke" and
j3 for "Greek iota below."  This is what Ben is looking for.

What is "mnemonic" also depends on the language in use, even if written using
Latin alphabet.  For example, RFC 1456 was much more mnemonic for Vietnamese,
and still sees some use not only as an input method, but as an encoding,
despite the ubiquity of Unicode support.

I see mail almost weekly that uses RFC 1465.  I don't recall seeing mail that
used RFC 1345.  But please don't read this as voicing support for RFC 1456!
My point is solely that context is important in determining what is "mnemonic".

Randy